THROWBACK THURSDAY: "I Want To Be Doctor Nude!" Says David Tennant In 2005 Interview



Today's Throwback Thursday post is an article from July 2005 with The Sun were David Tennant chats about his new role as the Tenth Doctor.

Like generations of youngsters, David Tennant used to hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who battled the evil Daleks on TV.
The Scottish actor grew up watching Tom Baker and Peter Davison in the famous role - and never dreamed that one day he too would step into the Timelord's shoes.
It was to his amazement and delight that he landed the job of playing the Tenth Doctor in April.
Today in an exclusive interview, he tells The Sun of the 'daunting' prospect of taking on one of the most famous roles in television and continuing the success of the last Doctor, Christopher Eccleston.
He insists: 'It's not really like any other acting job. I have done all sorts of different things and that's all been great fun. But suddenly I get cast as something and it's making the news. I was visiting my parents and it came up on a news report. It's fantastic to be involved with something that is so loved and people get excited about.
It's a privilege to be a part of history - but it's kind of daunting at the same time.'
David, 34, who shot to fame playing the lead role in the raunchy TV drama Casanova, says great secrecy surrounded his appointment as the Doctor.
He reveals he was not even allowed to tell his parents. 'Because it was such a secret I was aware that I had no choice but to say nothing,' he says. 'I wanted to tell everyone but my agent was the only person I could talk to.'
David understands what it means to be a young Doctor Who fan, having been one himself.
He recalls: 'I grew up watching it, as did everyone in Britain. I was a bit of a fan. You watched it every Saturday, and I started off watching Tom Baker. You kind of focus on the Doctor that you grew up with, and I watched him and then Peter Davison. I was still only 10 or 11 when Peter did it, and they're the two Doctors I identify with.'
The enthusiastic star was flattered to learn that Davison had given him the thumbs up.
He says: 'I was completely thrilled. That's really lovely. I'm choosing to believe it's true. I'm a huge fan of his.'
David goes on to reveal he has already been wining and dining his sexy co-star and former pop beauty Billie Piper, who play the Doctor's assistant Rose Tyler.
He says: 'We've had dinner a couple of times. She's very easy to get on with and a very lovely girl, so hopefully we will work together quite well. She's also perfect for the role. She's funky and modern but still sexy and sassy.'
Billie, 22, who is in the process of divorcing Chris Evans, has signed up to at least 14 episodes of Doctor Who with David. And she better watch out because he wants to add a bit of spice to the show.
David loved playing Casanova and he wonders if the Doctor could become a bit more like the legendary lover.
He laughs: 'They'll have a similar joy and wit about them. There is less shagging in Doctor Who, but who knows? We might change that too!'
David also jokes that he wants to become the first nude Timelord in the long running drama.
He laughs: 'I'm going to be nude throughout. It's a whole new thing, with a bit of pixalation around the groin area. But seriously, I do have a new costume.'
And referring to some of the outfits worn by previous Timelords, David insists he won't be seen in any frilly shirts.
He says: 'The producers were very good about that. I think that the clothes in the old shows got quite wacky - certainly towards the end. I don't think you can get away with frilly shirts. I think it's a different kind of show really. So we won't be doing that.'
David may have only just started filming Doctor Who but he has already received a TARDIS load of fan mail.
He says: 'It's great that people are so interested. I'm getting loads of letters now from kids with all these drawings and stuff.'
Born in Bathgate, West Lothian, David later graduated from The Royal Scottish Academy Of Music and Drama. When Eccleston transformed into Tennant at the end of the last series, David had an English accent, but he will revert to his native dialogue in the new series.
He admits appearing in Casanova helped him secure the part of the famous Timelord. Russell T Davies, who wrote most of the shows, also created Casanova.
David says: 'I guess, unbeknown to me,  Casanova was my audition. They just came to me after it and asked me to do it.'
Billie and David will be filming all 13 episodes and the Christmas Special without a break.
'We're shooting it all at once' he says. 'The first block is three episodes including the Christmas Special.'
And the new series will include an appearance by the silver suited Cybermen. 'They are later on in the series,' he reveals.
David, who will soon be seen in the ITV drama Secret Smile, will also be gracing movie screens in the next Harry Potter movie The Goblet Of Fire.
The actor, who plays baddie Barty Crouch Jr, says: 'Harry Potter was fantastic - a great experience. I worked with Dan Radcliffe and met the other young stars. They're great. They're so fabulous. I think that if I was that age and I was the most famous teenager in the world, I'd just be messed up - and they're so not. They really have their heads screwed on.'

Source: The Sun / July 2005



Comments