Matt Smith On David Tennant: "I Love David And I Love His Doctor"



Matt Smith has been interviewed by Roth Cornet of IGN on the first day of Dan Diego Comic Con, and talked about the effect that the role of the Doctor has had on his life, his imminent departure and filming the 50th Anniversary Special with David Tennant and John Hurt.

Matt was hugely complementary about David when asked about the sort of conversations that they had on the Doctor Who Anniversary Special set together and how their Doctors would relate to one another.

"I love David and I love his Doctor," he said, "We're pals and we had a great time making it. He's a brilliant actor, a great bloke ... and I think we were just like, "Oh my God, it's you!", "Oh my God, it's you!".It was...I don't know! You'll just have to wait and see"

It was also a memorable experience to be able to work with John Hurt

"[It was]...a lesson, an education and a privilege. He is an incredible actor, a brilliant man, he doesn't have to do anything. I'm, like, climbing the walls, me and Dave would be running around doing loads of stuff and John would just have to sort of flick his eyes and he'd tell you everything. It was fantastic."

And as for John Hurt's much speculated upon role - how would the presence of his character, believed to be Doctor #8.5, change the mythology of the show?

"I couldn't possibly speculate as to what it will do to the show," Matt said, "But what I can tell you is you're in for some serious revelations"

With Matt about to start shooting his final episode as the Doctor, the 2013 Christmas Special, he mused on the effect the role has had on his life and his contribution to the show.

"It's completely transformed my life...I've met some of my closest friends," he said, "What I've meant to the show, I don't know really. In terms of the show I'm just one of eleven cogs. I feel very privileged to have done it...I've loved playing him...he's the most incredible character."

He has know idea about his replacement and said he believed that they still had quite a while before they would have to decide.

"I imagine it will be someone fresh. I don't want to speculate too much as I feel it's not my place to. Whoever it is will be the right actor or actress. Let's wait and see who she is," he teased. He added, "It can be anyone, that's the great thing about the part."

Watch the full interview here:



Matt Smith will be appearing as part of the BBC America Doctor Who panel on Sunday 21st July at SDCC along with Jenna Coleman, Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and David Bradley, who plays William Hartnell in the new BBC drama An Adventure In Space And Time.

The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, starring Matt Smith, David Tennant, John Hurt, Jenna Coleman, Billie Piper and Joanna Page, will be screened by BBC One and BBC America on Saturday 23rd November. Find out more here


Source: IGN


Comments